Apply for a Scholarship 2019
Please fill out the application form below. Send us an e-mail if you have any questions or for additional information about our scholarship program.
Applications for our 2019 Scholarships are now open. Please submit all materials by Tuesday, March 19th, 2019.
- Students who are passionate about music and in 4th-12th grade at the time of submission, from families whose total income is less than $100,000 per year.
- Applicants must reside in the Greater Houston area.
- Applicants must submit all application materials by Tuesday, March 19th, 2019. Awards will be announced by email by Friday, April 5th, 2019.
- The committee will review applications based on the following criteria: artistic merit 30%, financial need 40%, “Doing Good” with music 10% and impact of music on student’s life 20%.
To complete your application
- Application form (submitted online)
- Completed essay section (four questions listed below) uploaded to a Dropbox folder. The link will be provided upon completion of your online application form.
- Upload one performance (video or audio file) to the Dropbox folder provided. YouTube links will not be accepted.
- One letter of recommendation (submitted by email to email@example.com)
- Please describe your family’s financial circumstances that make it difficult or impossible to afford private lessons/tuition for your musical training. (This question accounts for 40% of your total score)
- How has music impacted your life? Why would you like to continue to study music? (20%)
- How do you “do good” with music in order to benefit others? How do you plan to “do good” with your music in the future? (10%)
- Please include a short bio about yourself
Note: While not required, a parent or guardian may submit a supplement to Question 1 to provide a more clear understanding of family financial situation. Please submit with rest of Essay Questions/Supplemental Materials.
Terms of Scholarship
- Scholarships can be applied to lessons with a private teacher, tuition through an educational institution, or, in certain cases, short-term programs. (This scholarship does not provide for living, travel, or instrument related expenses.)
- After the scholarship is awarded, the recipient will be responsible for the following:
- Signing and returning the scholarship award acceptance contract
- Submitting a summary of lessons and musical activities at the end of the program
- Naming Music Doing Good in all biographies, interviews, programs and other print materials whenever possible
- The scholarship recipient receives no money. Awarded funds are paid directly to the school, instructor, or music organization and cannot be paid directly to the student or student’s family. Scholarships cannot be applied towards travel, or the purchase/repair of instruments.
- The scholarship awards ceremony will be held on Saturday April 13th, 2019, from 1-3pm at the Denney Theatre at the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
- Award must be fully disbursed by May 31, 2020.
- Scholarships used for summer study will be disbursed as needed. Please allow 2 weeks for processing. Scholarships used for lessons during the school year will be disbursed on or about August 15th, 2018
- Students with the top 25 overall scores will be asked to perform in a concert at the University of St. Thomas on June 8th, 2019 at 4pm
Media Release and Consent Form
I hereby give permission to Music Doing Good, Inc. to use media containing the voice, written or spoken word, and/or likeness of my child or myself. This consent applies to the following forms of media:
- Audio recordings
- Video recordings
- Written or spoken statements or quotations
I hereby authorize Music Doing Good the ability to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, distribute and publish in print, video, audio-recorded productions, and web content material for purposes of sharing and promoting its activities and programs or other lawful purpose without payment or any other consideration. I have thoroughly read this release, and I fully understand the contents, meaning, and impact of this release.