Apply for a Scholarship 2018
Please fill out the application form below. Send us an e-mail if you have any questions or for additional information about our scholarship program.
Applications for our 2018 Scholarships are now closed. Thank you to all who applied. Students receiving scholarships will be notified by email by April 6th.
- Students who are passionate about music and in 4th-12th grade at the time of submission.
- Applicants must reside in the Greater Houston area.
- Applicants must submit all application materials on or before Wednesday, March 21st, 2018 by 5:00pm CT. Awards will be announced by email by Friday, April 6th, 2018.
- The committee will review applications based on the following criteria: artistic merit 30%, financial need 40%, “Doing Good” with music 10% and impact of music on student’s life 20%.
To complete your application
- Application form (submitted online)
- Completed essay section (four questions listed below) uploaded to a Dropbox folder. The link will be provided upon completion of your online application form.
- Upload two performances (video or audio files) to the Dropbox folder provided. YouTube links will not be accepted.
- Two letters of recommendation (submitted by email to email@example.com)
- Please describe your family’s financial circumstances that make it difficult or impossible to afford private lessons/tuition for your musical training. (This question accounts for 40% of your total score)
- How has music impacted your life? Why would you like to continue to study music? (20%)
- How do you “do good” with music in order to benefit others? How do you plan to “do good” with your music in the future? (10%)
- Please include a short bio about yourself
Note: While not required, a parent or guardian may submit a supplement to Question 1 to provide a more clear understanding of family financial situation. Please submit with rest of Essay Questions/Supplemental Materials.
Terms of Scholarship
- Scholarships can be applied to lessons with a private teacher, tuition through an educational institution, or, in certain cases, short-term programs. (This scholarship does not provide for living, travel, or instrument related expenses.)
- After the scholarship is awarded, the recipient will be responsible for the following:
- Signing and returning the scholarship award acceptance contract
- Submitting a summary of lessons and musical activities at the end of the program
- Naming Music Doing Good in all biographies, interviews, programs and other print materials whenever possible
- The scholarship recipient receives no money. Awarded funds are paid directly to the school, instructor, or music organization and cannot be paid directly to the student or student’s family. Scholarships cannot be applied towards travel, or the purchase/repair of instruments.
- The scholarship awards ceremony will be held on Saturday April 14th, 2018, from 12-2pm at the Denney Theatre at the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
- Award must be fully disbursed by May 31, 2019.
- Scholarships used for summer study will be disbursed as needed. Please allow 2 weeks for processing. Scholarships used for lessons during the school year will be disbursed on or about August 15th, 2018
- Students with the top 20 overall scores will be asked to perform in a concert at the University of St. Thomas on June 9th, 2018 at 4pm
Media Release and Consent Form
I hereby give permission to Music Doing Good, Inc. to use media containing the voice, written or spoken word, and/or likeness of my child or myself. This consent applies to the following forms of media:
- Audio recordings
- Video recordings
- Written or spoken statements or quotations
I hereby authorize Music Doing Good the ability to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, distribute and publish in print, video, audio-recorded productions, and web content material for purposes of sharing and promoting its activities and programs or other lawful purpose without payment or any other consideration. I have thoroughly read this release, and I fully understand the contents, meaning, and impact of this release.