Music Doing Good with Scholarships
Music Doing Good believes that students who wish to deepen their instrumental or vocal studies through private lessons should have the opportunity to do so.
Houston-area students in 4th–12th grade are encouraged to apply for Music Doing Good scholarships, which provide funding for private lessons, music festivals and tuition through educational institutions. Applications will be accepted between January 4, 2018 and March 21, 2018. Our application review process is carefully designed to acknowledge both talent and the transformative power of music, particularly for students whose financial situation inhibits or prevents the possibility of private lessons. Family finances, community service, and the role music plays in the student’s life comprise 70% of the overall score. Independently screened recordings make up the remaining 30%.
- Students that are passionate about their musical education and in the 4th-12th grade at the time of submission.
- Applicants must reside in the Greater Houston area.
- Applicants must submit all applications materials on or before Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 5pm. Awards will be announced by email on or before Friday, April 13, 2018.
- The committee will review applications with the following criteria:
- Financial Need 40%
- Artistic Merit 30%
- Impact of music on student’s life 20%
- “Doing Good” with music 10%
Applications for our 2018 Scholarships are now closed. Thank you to all who applied. Students receiving scholarships will be notified by email by April 6th.
“AFA was truly an amazing experience! I was forced to challenge myself by learning professional level repertoire in three weeks. This bond that music creates is something that constantly reassures me it is what I want to do with my life. The friendships I made and the music I was a part of is something I will never forget. I can honestly say I look forward to returning next summer. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this experience!”
- November 7, 2018 Hip Hip Hooray for Pianist, Bryant Li!
- September 18, 2018 Music Doing Good…All Over the World!
- June 28, 2018 A Nod to Music Doing Good from an Amazing Teacher!
- May 29, 2018 Advice For Young Musicians from A Music Doing Good Student
- May 21, 2018 Playing Saxophone with the Polka Dots