Ensuring the Next Generation of Musicians are Given a Chance to Thrive

Music Doing Good Applications for Scholarships are Available Online NOW!

Music Doing Good knows that students who study music experience profound cognitive benefits that last a lifetime, evidenced not only by heightened aptitudes in math, science and languages, but also life skills such as collaboration, leadership and critical thinking.

Houston-area music students in 4th-12th grade, who wish to pursue music studies are encouraged to apply for Music Doing Good Scholarships, which provide funding for private lessons, music workshops and tuition through educational institutions. Applications can be submitted electronically at http://musicdoinggood.org/outreach/scholarships/

Scholarships range from $250 to $1500. Materials must be submitted electronically before Wednesday, March 21, 2018.  Awards will be announced by email on Friday, April 6th, 2018.  Concerts featuring the top 20 recipients of the 2018 scholarships will take place at University of St. Thomas, Cullen Hall, 4001 Mt. Vernon, 77006 on Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 4pm.

“Our application review process is carefully designed to acknowledge both talent and the transformative power of music, particularly for students whose financial situation inhibits or prevents the possibility of private lessons.  Family finances and essay questions about the role music plays in the student’s life comprise 70% of the overall score.  Independently screened recordings make up the remaining 30%.  We also encourage students to give back to the community and “do good” with their music by performing in retirement centers and hospitals across the greater Houston area,” states Rodney Waters, Music Doing Good with Scholarships program director.

Jurors include Michael Remson, Executive and Artistic Director of AFA, David Bertman, Associate Professor of Music, The Moores School of Music, Amy Chung, Director of Programs, Houston Youth Symphony and Patrick Moore, member of the Axiom Quartet and cello teacher at The University of St. Thomas.

In the spring of 2017, the largest number of scholarships were awarded in the history of the program; 106 scholarships totaling more than $83,000 in grants. Six of those scholarships mark the first awards granted to students that were supported through a community partnership with a private donor.

Hannah Bilski, a Music Doing Good scholarship recipient and instrument recipient remarks of her experience over the summer, “AFA was truly an amazing experience! I was forced to challenge myself by learning professional level repertoire in three weeks. This bond that music creates is something that constantly reassures me it is what I want to do with my life. The friendships I made and the music I was a part of is something I will never forget. I can honestly say I look forward to returning next summer. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this experience!”

For over twenty years, the American Festival for the Arts (AFA) Summer Music Festival has offered world-class intensive music-making experiences in a supportive environment for Houston’s young musicians. Hannah’s scholarship enabled her to benefit from this outstanding program.

Music Doing Good is a nonprofit arts organization that inspires and transforms lives through innovative, music-based programming and performance experiences. The outreach programs bring musical enrichment to children in Houston’s most disadvantaged communities. The programs use music to stimulate minds, spark creativity and ignite imagination.

Music Doing Good in Schools engages the whole child in an innovative fine-arts program designed to educate and empower students of Title 1 schools, culminating in a dynamic, student-driven performance at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts.

Music Doing Good with Instruments grants free, gently-used instruments to underserved students and underfunded school districts.