Apply for a Scholarship
Please fill out the application form below. Send us an e-mail if you have any questions or for additional information about our scholarship program.
- Students who are passionate about music and in 4th-12th grade at the time of submission.
- Applicants must reside in the Greater Houston area.
- Applicants must submit all application materials on or before Wednesday, March 22, 2017. Awards will be announced by email on or before Friday, April 14, 2017.
- The committee will review applications based on the following criteria: artistic merit 30%, financial need 40%, “Doing Good” with music 10% and impact of music on student’s life 20%.
To complete your application
- Application form (submitted online)
- Completed essay section (submitted by mail or email)
- Include video or audio performances of two contrasting pieces in a solo or small ensemble performance. These may be submitted in digital format (for example MP3, MP4, or Quicktime files) or on CD, DVD or flash drive. YouTube links will not be accepted. Recordings account for 30% of your overall score.
- Two letters of recommendation (submitted by mail or email)
- Please describe your family’s financial circumstances that make it difficult or impossible to afford private lessons/tuition for your musical training. (This question accounts for 40% of your total score)
- How has music impacted your life? Why would you like to continue to study music? (20%)
- How do you “do good” with music in order to benefit others? How do you plan to “do good” with your music in the future? (10%)
- Please include a short bio about yourself
Terms of Scholarship
- Scholarships can be applied to lessons with a private teacher, tuition through an educational institution, or, in certain cases, short-term programs. (This scholarship does not provide for living, travel, or instrument related expenses.)
- After the scholarship is awarded, the recipient will be responsible for the following:
- Signing and returning the scholarship award acceptance contract
- Submitting a summary of lessons and musical activities at the end of the program
- Naming Music Doing Good in all biographies, interviews, programs and other print materials whenever possible
- The scholarship recipient receives no money. Awarded funds are paid directly to the school, instructor, or music organization and cannot be paid directly to the student or student’s family. Scholarships cannot be applied toward the purchase of instruments.
- The scholarship awards ceremony will be held on Saturday April 22nd, 2017, from 1-3pm.
- Award must be fully spent by May 31, 2018.
- Scholarships awarded for summer study will be disbursed on or around June 1st, 2017. Scholarships awarded for lessons during the school year will be disbursed on or around August 1st, 2017
- Students scoring in the top 15 in the musical performance category (Artistic Merit as listed in the requirements above) will be asked to perform in a concert at the University of St. Thomas in June, 2018
Submit Application to:
Music Doing Good with Scholarships
c/o Rodney Waters
4203 Yoakum Blvd, Suite 200
Houston, TX 77006
Media Release and Consent Form
I hereby give permission to Music Doing Good, Inc. to use media containing the voice, written or spoken word, and/or likeness of my child or myself. This consent applies to the following forms of media:
- Audio recordings
- Video recordings
- Written or spoken statements or quotations
I hereby authorize Music Doing Good the ability to edit, alter, copy, exhibit, distribute and publish in print, video, audio-recorded productions, and web content material for purposes of sharing and promoting its activities and programs or other lawful purpose without payment or any other consideration. I have thoroughly read this release, and I fully understand the contents, meaning, and impact of this release.