Music Doing Good In Schools
Music Doing Good in Schools engages the whole child in an innovative fine arts program designed to educate and empower students of Title 1 schools, culminating in a dynamic student-driven performance at one of Houston’s premier performing arts venues.
The year-long program culminates in a student-driven performance at Houston’s Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. The program is TEKS-aligned and challenges students to develop important life skills such as critical-thinking, collaboration, leadership, and self-confidence. We encourage participants to ignite their creativity and hone their craft of self-expression. Our program extends beyond the music to strengthen families, schools and communities.
We educate children by sparking interest, using fun pedagogy, and by modeling practical and purposeful skills through unconventional methods.
We validate students by honoring their individual characteristics, by providing a safe environment and by instilling strategies and skills for success.
We showcase original student works and create productions that fully utilize students’ talents. The children will captivate audiences by creating a multi-sensory performance.
“I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for all that you have done for our students at Cummings. Music Doing Good has transformed the lives of so many of the participants. It has uplifted their self-esteem, given them a purpose, and helped them to discover the talents that they didn’t know they had. I am hopeful that we can continue our partnership for many years to come.”
- Jazz Is… Swings into the Hobby Center for one night ONLY! April 7, 2017
- Music Doing Good in Schools Lights up the Hobby Center with On Broadway March 22, 2016
- Music Doing Good in Schools Returns to Zilkha Hall with “That’s Classic!” March 5, 2015
- Music Doing Good in Schools presents One Stop Hip-Hop Shop April 3, 2013
- Music Doing Good in Schools Presents “Mostly Blues” at The Hobby Center’s Zilkha Hall February 15, 2013